Sunday, September 13, 2015

Teacher Say the Weirdest Things-- Four Kinds of Sentences Review Game

Needless to say it's been nearly forever since I last did a blog entry. I'm not totally sure what happened. But never fear, I am back with a quick & simple review game activity that I think is just a little brilliant :)

While vegging a bit, I was browsing through Facebook when I came across a blog called "50 Strange Things Teachers Say". You can find the original blog here. Anyway, I was getting a chuckle reading the list when suddenly I had an idea. A brilliant, amazing idea. In grammar/writing my kiddos (5th graders) have just learned the four different kinds of sentences. We've been doing so much practice that as I was reading the weird things teachers say, I was automatically thinking about what kind of sentence each was. Knowing my kiddos would get a kick out of hearing the weird things teacher say, I decided it would be a great way to get them to practice the four different kinds of sentences. 


I turned a good number (26 to be exact) of the sayings into a power point review game. The game and presentation is simple. Each slide contains one of the sayings. It's the students job to tell which type of sentence it is. For the sayings with more than one sentence, they are prompted to give the kind for each sentence. I'm thinking that this will be great for a class-wide "Family Feud style" review game. It could also be used for an "every student response" activity with the use of personal whiteboards. I think my kiddos are going to love reading all of these weird things we say-- and they won't even realize they are doing so much practice :) You can find the review game here

No comments:

Post a Comment